EScrap such as whole computers or individual components from computers contain gold, palladium and other precious materials. Computer circuit boards have gold and other precious metal traces in densities comparable to mined ore. There is enough valuable material to make refinement profitable on even a moderate scale.
Let’s examine the many components of a typical PC. All computers have these same set of components. A $ denotes a value rich component.
- Case – A heavy, metal and plastic enclosure.
- Power Supply – A heavy metal box inside that provides power to each component
- Motherboard ($) – the main, large circuit board that all other components are connected to
- Hard Drive – Smaller metal box that is the storage drive for the PC
- Disk drives – drives for Floppy, CD, DVD and other media
- PCI boards ($)- boards connected to the motherboard to provide additional functionality such as graphics output.
- RAM ($) – slim circuit board sticks that provide memory for the machine.
- Processor ($) – square, many-pinned components that is the ‘brain’ of the PC
- Connective wires – cables that connect all the above together.